The UK government is continually investing in innovative technologies or ideas which have the potential to benefit the UK economy. Various grant funding opportunities currently exist for both domestic and international companies involved in the development of imaging systems and associated technology. This includes the development and commercialisation of X-ray detection technologies such as CMOS, IGZO and photon-counting as well as the use of artificial intelligence within image acquisition, reconstruction and analysis. Funding opportunities are available for commercial projects at all stages, from early-stage R&D, experimental development and feasibility through to late-stage commercialisation and production.
PMI is an independent supplier of research and consultancy services to the global imaging technology industry. Our coverage areas include x-ray, ultrasound, magnetic resonance and nuclear imaging technologies. PMI is headquartered in Swindon, UK. For the purposes of accessing UK grant funding opportunities, PMI can act as a conduit, consultant or local strategic partner to enable or support with the securing of funding.
Current Funding Opportunities:
1. Medical Catalyst Fund
A total of £18m has been made available for organisations to develop and test innovative healthcare products, technologies or processes. Eligible projects include the development of imaging systems for earlier and better detection and diagnosis of disease, leading to better patient outcomes.
|Single-project funding amount:||Between £250,000 and £4 million|
|Project start date:||By the 1st April 2022|
|Project duration:||Between 12 months and 36 months|
|Project type:||Early and late-stage projects with a commercial or economic purpose, activities including:|
– Experimental development and evaluation
– Proof of concept or safety
– Exploring potential production mechanisms
– Product development planning
– Intellectual property protection
– Demonstrating clinical utility and effectiveness
– Demonstrating safety and efficacy
– Clinical trials
– Regulatory planning
|Sovereign conditions:||Carry out project work in the UK|
Intend to exploit the results from or in the UK
2. R&D Grant Fund
A total of £25m has been made available for game-changing and commercially viable R&D innovation that can significantly impact the UK economy. Projects must be technology-led involving the sciences or engineering. Projects involving the following are desirable but not essential:
- Development or integration of Artificial Intelligence technology within imaging systems for earlier and better detection and diagnosis of disease, leading to better patient outcomes.
- Development of imaging systems or technology for use in the development, production or maintenance of low-carbon energy generation and distribution systems as well as autonomous and electrified transport systems.
|Single-project funding amount:||Between £25,000 and £2 million|
|Project start date:||Start by 1st April 2022|
|Project duration:||Between 06 months and 18 months|
Between 19 months and 36 months
|Project type:||R&D projects, including: |
– Feasibility projects
– Industrial research projects
– Experimental development projects
|Sovereign conditions:||The eligible project must be led by a UK company or subsidiary.|